Saturday, December 14, 2019

What Makes America GreatWhat Makes America Great by Bob Dowell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Bob Dowell dives into history, into the time of John Winthrop and Thomas Jefferson. He also takes a look at Abraham Lincoln and even Martin Luther King. What do all these great men have in common? For starters, they all advanced America into the direction of acceptance and greater understanding of our neighbors. They also gave us guidelines in the form of the Declaration of independence, the Gettysburg address and the “I have a dream” speech on how to live our lives, and how to fight for what is right. A religious undertone is strong in this book, so if you do not like to read about such things, then this might not be the book for you. The author clearly believes in a strong presence of God within our nation, from Government to individual homes. One thing to keep in mind (that was to most extent glossed over in this book), is that our founding fathers did advocate for a separation of church and state. “In Everson v. Board of Education (1947), Justice Hugo Black wrote: "In the words of Thomas Jefferson, the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect a wall of separation between church and state.”.
This needs to be kept in mind when we state that the only way America is great, is if the church and the state are united. I am a religious person, and I follow scripture, but I do believe that the church has no place in our government. I suppose that I may not be the right audience for this book, but I did enjoy reading it.


View all my reviews

No comments: