Friday, May 15, 2020

Saving Day (DEPOP-17)Saving Day by J. Marianna
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

In the future, most of the world has been wiped out by a plague. The remaining human population has retreated into “The Bubble”. In order to survive, strict population control measures are in place, including a VR game called Depopulation-17 Challenge. Every member must undergo this Challenge when they turn 17. If they pass the Simulation, they are accepted into the Bubble as permanent members. If they fail the challenge, a lethal injection “culls” them from the herd. Today it Trimba’s saving day and the bets are in whether she will pass or fail. Her family is a prestigious one, but Trimba is headstrong and a bit wild, so it is anyone’s guess what will happen.
I really wanted to like this one more than I did. I adore post-apocalyptic novels, but the writing was too disjointed for me to comfortably enjoy the story. The slang that was used straight from the first page was wild and cluttered and frustrated me more than it allowed me to immerse myself into the story. I think maybe another round of editing to clear up the writing and at the least a glossary in the front of the book to help identify what the slang means, would do wonders to clear up the book.


View all my reviews

No comments: