Saturday, October 12, 2019

A Deadly Referral and Other Mystery StoriesA Deadly Referral and Other Mystery Stories by Ashley Lynch-Harris
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

An interesting collection of six mystery stories is combined in this book. “Murder, theft and coded messages, ….” Indeed, this is a very apt way to describe this book. Murder mysteries and crime novels can get very convoluted, but a short story is usually just long enough to whet your appetite before it is resolved and finished. The characters were very realistic, I could feel the stuffiness of the characters, the sharpness of wit and the gruesomeness of the murders.
I did not like all the stories, but that is to be expected in a collection, some will resonate more than others. Tamarind Lodge was a weird and spooky mix of hotel California and the shining for me, haha. But I really liked the story: Why die twice? Well written and hard to believe it is only the second book by the author. She shows real aptitude in bringing characters to life and I am certain we will be seeing new books from her soon.


View all my reviews

No comments: