Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Life is BigLife is Big by Kiki Denis
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Alma Jane is a curious 11-year-old living in New York who is about to die from a rare mutation. Her brother is so distraught with grief he declares war against Death and sets out to meet Albert Einstein in the UK. In this book, Death is a character who we can interact with and see how weary he is of his job. Death’s brother, O.M. was also weary and they two decide they need a vacation desperately. We are also introduced to a variety of other characters, a neuroscientist, Almas grandfather, Einstein’s mistress and many more. Towards the end of the book, we finally see what the common denominator for all the characters is and how they approach life.
This book was certainly “out there”. I was hard to read through and keep track of the many characters and follow along with how their interactions became more meaningful through the book. I did not start to become less confused until the latter portion of the book. While I am glad I stuck through the end, it was a bit too puzzling for my taste to be read again.


View all my reviews

No comments: