Friday, September 20, 2019

Rama and the Early Avatars of Vishnu (The Galaxy of Hindu Gods, #3)Rama and the Early Avatars of Vishnu by Swami Achuthananda
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was really interesting! I had no idea about the Hindu religion other than it had many gods. I was so surprised to read about Vishnu and his many Avatars. This book covers the top ten of them or the: Dashavataras. IT goes into the history of how it all came about, and when the avatars typically are supposed to appear in our world. Ravana is seen as the villain by many Hindus, but there are some who question the motives of Ravana for stealing Ramas wife Sita and all the other misdeeds that were done. The author paints the story in a different light that leads us to question the mainstream beliefs and if we are perhaps too quick to judge others.
For someone who barely knew anything about Hinduism, I’m sure it could have gotten much more confusing than it was. The author did a good job in the presentation and writing of the book. I did not feel lost, more like I was reading a good collection of stories that all tied together. I’m am certain that I am missing some finer points, but maybe another book can clear some of them up for me.


View all my reviews

No comments: