Friday, September 27, 2019

White Australia Has A Black History: William Cooper and First Nations Peoples' Political ActivismWhite Australia Has A Black History: William Cooper and First Nations Peoples' Political Activism by Barbara                Miller
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

So, all I knew about Australia’s early history is that it was a penal colony by England and that it severely mistreated and suppressed the indigenous population. As someone looking to move to Australia within the next 5 years, I wanted to learn a little more about its history and how it has shaped the country today. This book is centered on William Cooper, an activist for Aboriginal rights back in the 1800’s much earlier than regular textbooks will have you believe. The fight for basic human rights and privileges was hard, bloody and at times daunting, but Mr. Cooper preserved and was able to set the stage for all those who came after him to continue the fight.
This was a very interesting book, it is marketed as a biography, but I think that at times it read more like a research paper, dry and factual. This did not deter me, and I felt that I have gained some more knowledge regarding Australia’s troubling history.


View all my reviews

No comments: